Name:
Location: St Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom

I'm happy. I'm amused by life. I know who I am and why I'm here. I have a masters degree and very little money.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Sobering moment

I had what could be called an early warning on Sunday. I was working in the garden doing some light digging and weeding when I suddenly ran out of energy and felt short of breath. My heart was beating very quickly and I didn't feel well at all. I stopped digging and sat down whereupon the palpataions and breathing subsided. As soon as I felt well again I started digging again and the same thing happened. Now a brick wall doesnt have to fall on me twice for me to get the message (English expression that covers this situation perfectly). I stopped work altogether and had to watch my wife finish of the job. I am not a well man but not so long ago I was not a well man who was quite fit.

I used to go to the gym every other day although I stopped doing that in 2001. I think that was a poor way to begin the 21st century. Its not often that you are confronted by your own mortality and its amazing how the confrontation affects the mind. My first thoughts were "I'm going to have a heart attack". Followed quite quickly by "I'm not going to have a heart attack but I feel like sh1t". My third thought was "This is not good enough - I have to become fit again". So all the whinging about not enough free time will end. I have to run, cycle, walk, swim, anything to improve my aerobic fitness.

If I lived in Africa or the Amazon jungle or even Nepal I would probably be dead now. I'm lucky that I have access to the medication that allows me to live a more or less normal life. If I'm not fit then I'm letting my self down. Not to mention the rest of the family.

1 Comments:

Blogger pocketpunk said...

swimming is something you only do on holiday ...... maybe its something you can take up in the mornings ......the pool is only a mile away

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home