Name:
Location: St Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom

I'm happy. I'm amused by life. I know who I am and why I'm here. I have a masters degree and very little money.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Taking back the power

I wrote the other day about not having enough time to update this blog. I've thought about it a lot since then and it dawned on me that I may just be getting old. I actually work fewer hours than I did last year and fewer still than I did in the 90's. So I feel stessed rather than tired.
According to the media large numbers of people are saying that they have little or no free time. Is this just a fashionable whinge? There are statistics that show as a nation we are working longer hours. There is also a study from Scandanavia that shows in comparison with ourselves Scandanvians produce the same output in a shorter working week. Which suggests that if we didn't fart about so much we wouldn't have to work such long hours. This is of course complete bollocks, if our employers want to pay us for these long hours we have to work then we will work the long hours and take the money. We shouldn't whine about not having enough free time if we accept payemnt for the lack of free time.
If we want free time then we have to take back the power. During those awful Thatcher years there was a lot of talk about productivity - talk that you don't hear any longer, largely as a direct result of the policies of Thatcher. We don't actually produce a lot of anything anymore. So if we are all stuck in a service industry of some sort and we think that we have no free time I think that we should fart about as much as possible and take our free time as the opportunity presents itself. Take up smoking or if you're worried about your health pretended that you smoke; you can get a ten minute break every hour. Most offices nowadays allow limited internet access; keep a window open so that you can do some discreet surfing inbetween bits of work or during long telephone meetings (or update your blog!). You could of course work from home which is the ultimate solution. Being paid for long hours to stay in your own house. On quieter days its possible to a little decorating or gardening or whatever. Not that I do any of that when I work from home.
Take back the power use your free time when it arrives. I hope to update more regularly from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home